Monday, April 6, 2009

Blog Start - to help the talent and clients seeking the talent

Welcome to my blog. I've been thinking about how I could serve the talent I talk to and the clients I work with and my idea is to blog. As recruiters, we are really on the front line of the hiring process and I'll use this blog to talk about the market, the marketplace, the hiring process. I'll talk about real deals we are working on, as well as situations so that you can see how this works, and how to make it work better. I also think I'll add some things that may or may not mean anything to you, like how to think about certain situations (basically another way to look at them) and how to take care of yourself in this process.

Now, why me? Why would you read my blog, why do I think blogging is a good idea (because, really don't you think folks that blog are really just full of hot air?) I have been in the recruiting/staffing industry since 1995. First I worked for Express Personnel in an outside sales function (marketing), then I moved to IT recruiting at MAGIC from 1997 until the company financially collapsed in 2006. In July of 2006, I started as a partner with a new firm, Walker Elliott. We focus on IT, Engineering and Oil/Gas Engineering. I do contract, contract to hire and direct hire placement, and I love it. It is a very interesting job because the product is people, and people can do some very interesting things. That's why I think a blog is an interesting medium. All kinds of things happen and basically, there are not too many things that surprise us anymore, so maybe this knowledge could help you as you job seek, seek talent, or just plain decide if you should stay or go, or something in between.

On another note, I am a working mother of two small children, and a wife. Our kids are 3 and 5 and while I love being a recruiter, it is these other roles that mean the world to me. I mention this so that you know a little bit about who I am. It's important for me to know a lot about you if we are working on a search together, so know that going in, whether you work with Walker Elliott or another firm. Recruiting may seem like nosy business, but that's what makes things happen - the story!

I look forward to being a resource for you. Please ask me questions, or pose issues/problems. I am here for you.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first post =)
    Thank you for helping me search for a job last year. Unlike most recruiters that just want to place me ASAP, Amanda put her best efforts to search not just any job, but a job that I would be comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete